1.29.2009

A brief confession, and some process chatter.

      I've started on outlining two projects so far, and with any luck, I'll have a manuscript for at least one of them by year's end. Both are attempts at YA, which is a bit of a departure from my short fiction, but I honestly feel like doing YA would be the only way I can do a longer project than . . . say, five pages.
      What can I say? It's also not as pretentious a genre; it's genuinely more fun to write, and I always have the short fiction to make more of a "point."
      That being said, the crew over at O'nell Design (blog here) have been putting out some cool stuff for quite some time, and I'm always tempted to write something about the characters -- if only just for fun. I'm no "fanfic" author, and I don't intend to be, but there's something about those little figures that hearkens back to when I was five years old, writing stories starring my favorite Transformers and Lego creations...
      Anyway, enough nostalgia, at least until I crack under the pressure of my five-year-old self.
      When I last ran this blog, I sometimes used "themes" to guide my writing for the week, in an effort to genuinely explore different iterations of the same word or phrase. Since I've stuck with scribbles for the most part (as a lot of places snub their nose at running work that has been previously published anywhere, even a bloody personal blog), I'll be revisiting this concept every so often, if only to try and make writing fun for myself again. For example, next week, it'll be "anticipation" for a few days (the nerds among you will know why), while the next few entries might be "acceptance."
      Just tossing that out there for y'all...

No comments: